Almost everyone in the country has shopped online, be it for a pair of shoes or even household furniture. The vast range of products available online has taken the marketplace to a whole new level. The main business model for any E-commerce is to attract customers with an enticing advertisement that has amazing deals through digital media. The after effects of this can generate positive and negative customer behavior.
Amazon India and Flipkart are both a high performing Ecommerce business in India. Amazon, ranking to No. 1 while Flipkart holds No. 5 in India. The only difference is Flipkart is an Indian Ecommerce while Amazon is an American Ecommerce. Both have been having an ongoing competition against each other since 2013.
Before Amazon’s launch in India, Flipkart was the top performing Ecommerce Business that had over 1 million sellers by the year 2012. This allowed Flipkart to have a strong customer base and a strong business model. But, with the launch of Amazon India in the year 2013, competition stiffened up.
So how do these 2 big Ecommerce giants do business in India?
- Subscription Fee: Every Ecommerce site has a subscription business model. In this model, the subscription fee is charged to sellers who choose to sell through Ecommerce platforms. For example, Amazon charges a monthly or a yearly subscription fee, along with a 5-15% commission rate and a minimal listing fee for each product. Similarly, Flipkart charges a commission rate of 4-20% depending on a product category. Each of them has their own ways of advertising to the sellers who want to list their product on the Ecommerce site. The better performance of the Ecommerce, the more chances the seller will choose them.
- Advertising Programs: Advertising in any platform is important if you want an immediate conversion of an individual who is a potential buyer to a customer. Amazon and Flipkart have both been adopting various advertising campaigns to increase conversion rate as well as increase their consideration over their competitive kin. Both Amazon and Flipkart have a strong and effective advertising model that helps them get as many customers and sellers on their platform. This is possible because of their determination in finding new innovative ways to achieve an awesome customer satisfaction rate. When sellers get satisfied customers, it immediately creates a positive chain.
- Affiliate Marketing: Ever heard of this term? This term is gaining quite a lot of attention in this age as it allows other individuals who are not sellers also get a platform to earn online! If there is already an existing seller on Amazon or Flipkart, an individual like you and me can vouch for any product and sell it to a potential buyer. When this buyer turns to a customer, you immediately gain a commission. This depends on the rate you choose!
- Awesome Logistics Channel: Amazon has FBA or Fulfilment by Amazon and Flipkart has FF or Flipkart Fulfilment. Both of them serve the same purpose. A seller gets a choice to deliver the product using their own delivery service or using the fulfilment service provided by the Ecommerce giants. If a seller chooses the fulfilment service, the seller can expect his/her product to be delivered to the customer without them doing anything, which mean, Amazon or Flipkart will be doing the service by themselves! For this service though, a certain fee is charged.
- Co-advertising: Every now and then, Amazon and Flipkart both try to get as much exposure they can in the existing market. This means that they initiate product launches on their established and excellent platforms as well as advertise their brand name with bigger business giants. For example, if Haier was launching a new product, they could opt to launch it in Flipkart or Amazon. This is called Co-advertising.